Friday, February 22, 2013

The Krishna Key by Ashwin Sanghi

I read The Krishna Key recently. I was impressed by the rave reviews on multiple sites and zabardast promotion. I was a little skeptical at first (having read the Chankaya’s Chant – an okey doeky book) but the summary was interesting enough to encourage a buy. I received the book from flipkart.com with their usual swiftness. (kudos to flipkart!)
The book is about a professor at St. Stephens College who is unwittingly pulled into finding the truth about the Krishna Key ---as his best friend has been killed. Aided and abetted along the way by his student and hounded by the Kalki avatar out to kill him. Of course, our Indian police detectives are not far behind. The story takes him across the country from Kailash to Kanya Kumari, unearthing various clues and murders along the way.

However, time and again your attention is shifted from Prof. Saini’s latest predicament to a historical monologue that the author insists upon. Mr. Sanghi wants to be sure that this is one history lesson that we do not manage to skip.
Having been a history student myself….. just across the road from St. Stephens at Hindu College, sometimes I felt that I was in the middle of a gripping history lecture though the content is a little out of the course.

But once you accept that .....Yes,....... the Krishna key has lot of historical facts --- monologue style,.......... the book is a good mix of mythological, historical and fiction. 
The book is certainly very readable, once I picked it up………. “I had to read it through”. I needed to go through the journey with Ravi Saini and find the culprit with him. And the surprises that were there in the book were really surprises for me.
Of course it is not the next, “The Da Vinci Code” or even “Angels & Demons” though there are similarities between Ravi Saini our hero and Robert Langdon …… (our author is certainly a fan).

But, for a quick read it is good. It is important to approach it simply without expecting to come out of it enriched or something. Yes, it certainly wouldn’t feature on your favorites list for years to come , but it will certainly pass the time, make a afternoon enjoyable. And may also make you Google: Somnath temple as I did.
 

5 comments:

  1. This is the best book by Ashwin, compared to the all three books. Nice way of narration, together with Mahabharata story in line. I like the way Ashwin gave us his imagination about the Krishna. The facts in the books looks quite real. At last a nice book for the people who want to know about Krishna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will keep in submitting new articles or blog posts & thank you for sharing your great experience among us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey keep posting such sensible and significant articles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing web log and really fascinating stuff you bought here! I positively learned plenty from reading through a number of your earlier posts in addition and set to drop a discuss this one!

    ReplyDelete